Hot & Sweet Crispy Chicken and Waffles
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tsp salt
2 large eggs
½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1¾ cups milk
Nonstick spray, for coating the waffle iron
½ cup honey
2 tsp bibigo™ Go-Chu-Jang Hot & Sweet Sauce
Pinch of salt
1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-1½ inch pieces
Salt and pepper
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp bibigo™ Go-Chu-Jang Hot & Sweet Sauce
3 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
½ cup vegetable or canola oil, for frying
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Roasted salted peanuts, chopped, for garnish
Sesame seeds, for garnish
For the Waffles:
- Preheat waffle iron to medium-high setting. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, and milk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spray waffle iron with nonstick spray. Pour about ½ cup batter (depending on the size of your iron) onto waffle iron and cook for about 4 minutes until golden brown. Keep waffles warm in a low oven while you prepare the chicken.
For the Go-Chu-Jang Honey:
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium to medium-high heat and add go-chu-jang honey ingredients. Bring to a simmer, and let simmer for about 30 seconds or until incorporated and heated through. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to serve.
For the Crispy Chicken:
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Add cornstarch and toss until evenly coated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, honey, bibigo™ Go-Chu-Jang Hot & Sweet Sauce, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and fry in an even layer, in batches, about 3 minutes per side, or until crispy and golden brown. Set chicken aside to drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Heat a separate nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sauce and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken and toss to coat, cooking until the sauce thickens around the chicken, about 3-4 minutes. Cook thoroughly to an internal temperature of 165°F as measured by a food thermometer.
- Serve gang-jung chicken over warm waffles. Drizzle with desired amount of the go-chu-jang honey. Garnish with scallions, peanuts, and sesame seeds.