Kimchi Tuna Kimbap with Spring Veggies
1 pack bibigo™ Cooked Sticky White Rice
2 sheets dried roasted seaweed
1 (3.5 oz) can tuna*, liquid drained
⅓ cup ripe kimchi*, liquid drained and finely chopped
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
6 thin asparagus spears, blanched
1 small cucumber, julienned and seedy center removed
8 perilla leaves, stems removed (or large lettuce leaves, ribs removed)
3 tbsp kewpie or regular mayonnaise
1 tsp sesame oil, plus more for brushing kimbap
¼ tsp sugar
Salt & pepper to taste
Sesame seeds, for serving
½ tsp gochugaru (optional)
Equipment: bamboo or silicone rolling mat
* Use hands to gently squeeze out all of the liquid from the tuna and kimchi
- Microwave bibigo™ Cooked Sticky White Rice according to package directions. Remove lid and transfer rice into a shallow bowl. Add sesame oil and lightly season with salt; mix well to combine. Set aside to cool.
- Combine tuna, kimchi, onion, mayonnaise, and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add ½ tsp of gochugaru or more to match desired spice level.
- Place one sheet of roasted seaweed on the bamboo mat with the longer side towards you and the shiny side down.
- Lightly moisten fingers with water to prevent the rice from sticking to hands. Spread half of the rice in a thin, even layer over ¾ of the seaweed, leaving the top ¼ bare.
- Place a row of perilla leaves about an inch up from the bottom of the rice. Place half of the tuna mixture on top of the perilla leaves. Add half of the asparagus spears and julienned cucumber on top of the tuna mixture.
- Using both hands, carefully lift the mat up and roll over the fillings. Using firm but gentle pressure, form a tight cylinder to make sure the fillings stay in place. As you continue to roll, pull the mat up and away from you so it doesn’t get caught in the roll. Continue until you reach the end of the roll. Set aside and repeat with remaining sheet of seaweed and ingredients.
- Using your fingers, lightly coat the kimbap with sesame oil. Cut each kimbap into 10 equal pieces with a sharp knife. To ensure a clean cut, wipe your knife with a damp cloth or towel in between cuts. Plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.