Maple Go-Chu-Jang Popcorn
3 tbsp neutral oil
½ cup popcorn kernels
1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
⅓ cup maple syrup
⅓ cup brown sugar
2 tbsp corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp bibigo™ Go-Chu-Jang Hot & Sweet Sauce
¼ tsp baking soda
Sea salt flakes, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Prepare a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large stockpot, heat oil and popcorn kernels over medium-high heat, covered. Once the kernels begin popping, shake the pan occasionally to ensure even popping. Once the kernels have slowed in the rate of popping, pour into a large bowl. Toss in pecans.
- Prepare the sauce by whisking together the maple syrup, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and salt. Bring to a simmer for 4-5 minutes, constantly stirring. Remove the sauce from heat and add in baking soda and bibigo™ Go-Chu-Jang Hot & Sweet Sauce; it may bubble a bit, just keep whisking.
- Pour the sauce over the popcorn and pecan mixture in the bowl and immediately begin stirring to coat completely; alternatively you can put a lid on the bowl and shake. You want to work fast as it is very sticky!
- Spread the coated popcorn mixture on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Keeping the popcorn in clusters as desired, or forming into tighter clusters as needed.
- Sprinkle sea salt flakes on top and store in an airtight container.