Spicy Korean BBQ Roasted Sweet Potatoes
3½ lb sweet potatoes (about 3-4 med-large ones), peeled
¾ cup Bibigo BBQ Sauce Hot & Spicy
¼ cup toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 scallions, thinly sliced
½ tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Using either a mandolin or a very sharp knife, thinly slice the sweet potatoes crosswise into ⅛-¼ inch slices. Place into a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF, and set a rack on the lower third of the oven.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Bibigo BBQ Sauce Hot & Spicy, sesame oil, and rice vinegar. Pour the mixture all over the sweet potatoes. Use your hands to toss and coat all the sweet potato slices with the marinade mixture.
- In a 2½ quart oval baking dish, arrange the sweet potato slices upright and pack them in as tightly as possible in concentric circles. If some slices are too tall, cut them in half. Reserve any remaining marinade for basting.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and roast, brushing some of the leftover marinade on the sweet potatoes, every 15 minutes. After the first 15 min, it will look like there is too much liquid in the dish; that is normal. Brush the accumulated marinade over the sweet potatoes. Continue to roast and baste every 15 minutes.
- Roast until the sweet potatoes are soft and slightly golden brown on top and around the edges, about 1 hour.
- Carefully remove sweet potatoes from the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes. This will let any remaining sauce to set and prevent scallions from browning/wilting too quickly from the heat.
- Sprinkle scallions, sesame seeds and gochugaru all over and serve!