Galbi Jjim with Tteok
2 1/2–3 pounds short ribs, in 1 1/2–2-inch pieces
1/2 small yellow onion, cut into chunks
1 inch ginger, sliced
4 cloves garlic
2–3 scallions, divided
4 dried shiitake mushrooms
1 1/4 cup bibigo™ Original BBQ Sauce
8 ounces Korean radish, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
8 dried jujubes
12 gingko nuts, peeled
1/3 pound Korean rice cakes, or tteok
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Soak short ribs in cold water for 30 minutes and wash excess blood from the bones.
- Add short ribs to a large pot along with onion, ginger, garlic, the white parts of the scallions, and shiitake mushrooms. Bring to a boil and boil uncovered for 10 minutes, skimming and discarding the residue from the top. Remove the short ribs and the shiitakes and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Strain the stock and discard the remaining aromatics; skim the excess grease from the top of the stock and set aside.
- Rinse the pot and return back to the stove. Add the cleaned short ribs, bibigo™ Original BBQ Sauce, and 3 1/2 cups of the reserved stock. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn down to medium heat and simmer, covered, for 30–40 minutes. Cook thoroughly to an internal temperature of 165°F as measured by a food thermometer.
- In the meantime, prep the vegetables and other additions. Use a vegetable peeler or paring knife to trim off and smooth the edges from the radish and carrot pieces, to give them a rounded look. Cut shiitake mushrooms into quarters. If using frozen rice cakes, soak for 10 minutes; skip this step if rice cakes are fresh. Slice remaining scallion greens into small pieces and set aside.
- Add radish, carrot, shiitakes, and dates to the pot, bring back to a boil, then turn heat down to medium low. Boil, covered, for 30–40 minutes or until meat is very tender. Add gingko nuts and rice cakes. Then boil, uncovered, for 10 minutes until the sauce is thick and shiny.
- Transfer stew to a serving bowl and garnish with scallion pieces and sesame seeds.