3 lb bone-in beef short ribs, 1½ inch thick
1 cup bibigo™ BBQ Sauce Original
3 cup water
5 clove garlic, minced
10 oz Korean radish, peeled and cut into large chunks
6 oz carrot, peeled and cut into large chunks
4 large shiitake mushrooms, stems removed & halved
5 dried jujubes/red dates
6-7 chestnuts, peeled (optional)
10 ginkgo nuts, shelled & peeled (optional)
2 scallions for garnish, bias cut
- Soak ribs in cold water for 3 hours to remove excess blood from the meat. Change out the water twice (once every hour); rinse and drain.
- Place the short ribs in a large dutch oven or pot and fill with enough water to cover the ribs. Bring to a boil and cook for 6-8 minutes. Drain and discard the water; rinse each rib thoroughly under running water.
- Score the ribs (2-3 slits) about halfway to the bone. This will help the meat absorb more flavor from the braising liquid.
- Give the pot a quick rinse and place the short ribs back into the pot. Add bibigo™ BBQ Sauce Original with garlic and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the vegetables. Optional step: With a small paring knife, round out the sharp edges of the radish and carrots to help keep their shape while cooking.
- Add the radish, carrots, dates, chestnuts, and mushrooms. Continue to simmer for about 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the meat is fall-off-the-bone tender and the vegetables are soft. If using gingko nuts, add during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Cook thoroughly to an internal temperature of 165°F as measured by a food thermometer.
- Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with scallions. Serve with rice and kimchi.