Sweet & Savory Maple-Glazed Chestnuts
1 tbsp bibigo™ Original BBQ Sauce
⅓ cup pure maple syrup
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
Edible flower petals for garnish (optional)
- Soak chestnuts in hot water for 30 minutes. Discard the ones that float; good chestnuts will usually sink, and the moldy ones will float. Rinse and drain.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and place a rack in the middle position.
- Using a serrated knife, make a long slit lengthwise across the bottom of each chestnut. Creating a large cut will make the chestnuts easier to peel. Be sure to cut through both the outer shell and the skin underneath. It’s okay if you cut slightly into the flesh.
- Roast the chestnuts until the shells peel back and the flesh is tender and golden, about 15-25 minutes (depending on the size of your chestnuts).
- Remove the chestnuts from the oven and peel while they are very warm. The hotter they are, the easier they will be to peel. Set peeled chestnuts aside.
- In a small saucepan, add bibigo™ Original BBQ Sauce, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Reduce until it thickens, about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently with a rubber spatula.
- Add chestnuts and toss carefully until the chestnuts are well coated with the glaze. Turn off heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Let cool for several minutes so the glaze can harden, then transfer to a plate.